Sunday, November 21, 2010

Taking a moment to step away from the debate...

In the forest today, I noticed a single thread of spider silk stretched loosely between two pine branches.  It undulated slowly in the wind, occasionally catching the sun and giving itself away.  I stared at it for a time, watching the world inhale and exhale.  I marveled at how delicate it was.  I thought of the Japanese and their love of cherry blossoms; how they celebrate their fleeting beauty.  The spider silk reminded me of that.  I thought of myself as the silk, shining in the sun until the wind and rain break me and the Earth takes me back into herself.  I thought about how that is all life is, and we must do our best to be the most wonderful piece of spider silk clinging to a tree.

Sometimes I get caught up in the academic side of Paganism.  Don't misunderstand me - I love history, mythology, anthropology, and language.  Discussing the nature of deity can be an engaging exercise for the brain.  But sometimes...  sometimes you need to step back and admit your cluelessness.  Many of us feel that we are doing what is right for us, but even then we can never fully know.  Sometimes, we need to go to the source of our spiritual fire - be that a hobby, a temple, or the land - and just exist in it.  Take note of the life around you and feel the divine - whatever it ultimately is - move in and around you.  We divide ourselves with tradition and culture.  I don't find anything inherently wrong with that because we cannot all be the same.  I just think we can become so blinded by it that we lose sight of the essence - even if it's only for a moment while we're engaged in a heated theological debate.

Taking a moment to lean against a birch tree in the woods and just be... It is good for the body, mind, and soul.



( For My LJ Friends: http://adfcatprints.blogspot.com/ )

No comments:

Post a Comment