Friday, March 26, 2010

Keeping the Flame

As some of you know, I'm a member of ADF's  flame keeping group dedicated to Brighid.  Tonight is my turn to keep the flame.  For those of you unfamiliar with this tradition, people called by the Goddess Brighid often join groups of people who take turns honoring her by lighting candles (or some other source of light).  Each night, another group member lights a candle.  Most people light their candles with the flame of a candle already dedicated to Brighid.  Many people get this flame from Kildare, the original cult center of Brighid. *

Like I said, tonight is my turn.  I've been doing it for awhile, first through a community on Live Journal, and now through my spiritual home of ADF.  Although I've remembered to keep her flame, I've not made a night of it.  I would really like to put more effort into the tradition and my relationship with the Goddess.  I was inspired by my fellow flame keepers to start a new tradition.

When the sun sets,  I will cease using my computer except, perhaps, for the purpose of listening to music.  I waste a lot of time on here and an evening of prohibition will do me good.  Instead I will spend my night exercising, meditating, practicing art, practicing reiki, reading lore associated with Brighid, and cleansing myself and my hearth.  I'm very excited about this!

On another day, I will attempt to finish a review of The Rites of Brigid Goddess and Saint  by Sean O Duinn.

Blessings to all!





* For more excellent information on this tradition, or if you're interested in keeping Brighid's flame but aren't in ADF, I encourage you to check out Ord Brighideach.

No comments:

Post a Comment