Thursday, September 23, 2010

Autumnal Equinox

I'm trying to be more mindful of the moon's cycles.  The past few months have found me more observant than ever before, and I thank my friend Imagickat for inspiring that. While checking the calendar a few weeks ago, I noticed that there was to be a full moon on the Autumnal Equinox.  It seemed like a very auspicious occurrence!  While there is little evidence that the equinox specifically was very important to the ancient Irish, there are numerous harvest traditions that anyone following a Celtic-inspired/Celtic Reconstructionist/or Druidic path can incorporate into their rituals, such as the sacrifice of corn to harvest deities.  While Samhain was viewed as the beginning of the winter season and the dark half of the year, the equinox could be viewed as a last hurrah for the light half.  I find it interesting that the full moon should occur on this day.  It seems symbolic of the coming waning of the earth's green, productive period.

There's a lot of change in the air.  The trees are changing, the mosquito population has decreased a bit, and the nights are chilly.  I've heard the travel songs of the geese on their way to warmer places.  Some of the plants on my patio have begun to die (I took several others inside ).  It is easy to observe the Nature Spirits change.  But what about us?

My vacation was over a few weeks ago, but it is only now that I'm getting back into the routine.  I'm busier and will only get more so as we approach Samhain and Winter Solstice.  I also notice myself being more social, especially with new people, in my new home of Northern NY.  The summer days of wide-spread, outdoor fun in the sun and day trips is over; here come the days of hearth fires, warm dinners, movie nights, and storytelling.  Here come the days of cold and, eventually, ice.  In other words, here come the times when we stay closer to home more often.

I always welcome Autumn.  It's my favorite season.  I can sense the energy - the magic - in the air.  The world is dying and yet there is so much potential for rebirth.  The veil is thinning and the Otherworld calls.

( For My LJ Friends: http://adfcatprints.blogspot.com/ )

No comments:

Post a Comment