Monday, February 8, 2010

Valentine's Day

The "writer's block" topic on Live Journal today is about Valentine's Day and I decided to add my two cents.

Given that we're less than a week out from Valentines, how do you feel about the approaching holiday? Will you participate or abstain? If you're not in a relationship, how will you celebrate your single status?


You know... I just don't do V-day anymore. It used to be a big deal to me, in part because a majority of my life was spent in public education where, every year, we spent tons of money on candy and crappy, mass-produced cards that my classmates inevitably threw away shortly after receiving. As someone trying to live a more sustainable life, I can't help but see this highly commercialized holiday as environmentally disgusting. Ok, I'll admit a detail about my personal life - I work with children. Despite my feelings, I don't want to disappoint their wee little hearts. Try to discuss sustainability with an X-Box and toy-obsessed youngster. I dare you. 9 times out of 10, it doesn't change much because, in the end, it's really the attitude of the parents that matter. All the same, I'm not giving cards or plastic bags of candy. They are getting pencils bedecked in hearts because they are useful. Yes, I am that sort of adult.

"But Grey Catsidhe! You're newly married! Aren't you going to have a romantic evening with your hubby?"

Our first date several years ago was on Valentine's Day. A year after that, we started to think about why we were celebrating. We knew we loved each other. But...was that really a good reason to go out and spend money? Especially after the winter holiday season? We were in college and we were broke. When we really thought about it, we realized that Valentine's Day just didn't matter to us. If we were going to spend money on gifts, then let that be on our birthdays and the Solstice. Otherwise... Neither of us are Catholic so St. Valentine doesn't matter to us. I'm a Celtic Recon/Druid, so Lupercalia isn't for me either. And I'm no longer a fan of celebrating religious holidays claimed by secular America just because it's socially traditional. Bah. I'll stick to traditions that I actually find enjoyable!

If you celebrate Valentine's Day, that's fine. Go out and have fun! Maybe even take some advice and see how sustainable you can be while you celebrate. My husband and I? We'll use a holiday as an excuse to get jiggy with it on the 1st of May. Beltaine baby! Sex in the forest! Show the plants how it's done! February is too cold for that anyway... So why even bother? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment