Monday, February 1, 2010

What makes the full moon so special?

I have a lot of friends who are skeptical of "energy" as is seen by Pagans. This is fine and I encourage questions because it forces me to think and reevaluate my spirituality. Let's face it - sometimes things are a matter of faith and that's that. Someone experiences unverified personal gnosis and it's his/her word against yours. End of story. But there are also plenty of times when spiritual people have to be open to scientific explanations. Science won't necessarily devalue what you believe, either. In fact, I often feel quite the opposite and I don't understand why more religious people and scientists can't reconcile. For me, science and religion are two sides of the same coin. Someone once said that science answers the how and religion can answer the why or the who. I'm not arguing that one is better than the other or that people from both schools should accept that wholesale ... but really. I think most cases, like creationism and evolution, can be viewed as two sides of the same coin.

ANYWAY.

Today I thought a bit about the moon, particularly the full moon. I always notice the big, beautiful moon in the sky. It invigorates me, comforts me, and inspires me. Could it be, scientifically speaking, that the light given off by the moon not only pleases us for psychological reasons (light helps us see in the dark and avoid danger), but also for physical reasons? The sun's rays are reflecting off the moon onto Earth. Does it also reflect vitamin D? Does it trick us into feeling somehow more awake and that's why I often want to dance when I see a full moon?

No comments:

Post a Comment