Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Obligatory Earth Day Post ;)

I'm definitely in the camp that thinks "Earth Day should be everyday!"  The physical Earth will endure until the universe itself decides to swallow her up.  We're more apt to destroy ourselves than the whole Earth.  I was always very moved by this poem by Sara Teasdale.  It captures something of the truth of Nature.



There Will Come Soft Rains 

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;

And frogs in the pool singing at night,
And wild plum trees in tremulous white;

Robins will wear their feathery fire,
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;

And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself when she woke at dawn
Would scarcely know that we were gone.

What I, as an environmentalist, am most worried about is the life of *everything else* we share the Earth with.  It's not fair for us to destroy the planet when we aren't the only ones here.  There are a lot of resilient species out there who can take a lot of garbage - literally and figuratively!  There are also many more species that are very sensitive to change.  We're finding golf balls in whale stomachs now.  That's just disturbing.

  I also worry about our spiritual relationship with the spirits of the Earth and the land Goddesses many of us cherish so as our spiritual mothers.  Does the Earth coddle us?  No.  She can eat us if she wants.  But she is our home - our beautiful, beautiful home - and our source of life.  I try to honor and respect that. To me, Earth Day is not just one day.  Earth Day itself forces me to stop and think about why I do what I do and, then, continue doing it.



**I apologize if this was crap.  I'm exhausted and should really be in bed now...

No comments:

Post a Comment